Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Chasm

My children’s reaction
Upon hearing of the divorce
A shock to me

After all,
They were all adults
Save one, who was one month shy

Sure, I knew they’d be sad
And they’d be upset,
But they knew it was coming, right?

My first…
Of many mistakes
Naively assuming their feelings

Frustration and hurt
Were at the center
But at the core, was anger

And my inability to grasp
And respond
Ignited the flames

My helplessness
Compounded
By years of jammed up work weeks

Muted by the abyss
The chasm was vast
And wide
_____

I wrote this for the Week 90 Trifecta Writing Challenge where were are to write a 33-333 word composition using the word "grasp" in the context of take hold of in the mind, as in "comprehend".

Your comments are appreciated. 

9 comments:

  1. I don't think divorce is easy for anyone involved, at any age. I hope time has helped in healing and bridging the chasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janna. I learned that the hard way.

      Delete
    2. And I forgot to say, I've been struggling but working very hard at bridging the chasm.

      Delete
  2. My parents divorced when I was in high school. Even knowing it was coming, and what was best for all of us, there was still a lot of anger and hurt. You've captured that very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. I wish I knew then what I know now.

      Delete
  3. That's interesting, because I hear so many people say that they're staying together for the children and that they'll have more options once the kids are adults. Not necessarily, eh? A friend of mine had his parents divorce when he was in his 40's. They'd been married for over 50 years. We're all still scratching our heads over that one. I think you've done a great job talking about the feelings of others in a respectful way. That's not always easy to do. Thanks for linking up. Don't forget to come back and vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Divorce is never fun. I saw two of them happen, both times messy. I don't think it's easy to see it coming, even when you think you know the signs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was such a raw & honest take, Lumdog - and you hit the nail on the head with anger, which is a large part of any grieving process. My heart wept.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That part about assuming you knew how your children felt, ah, it was touching. I think even adults whom are married with children of their own, still feel that sadness and anger if their parents split up. I know for myself, I always want a love that last the way my grandparents did, though not perfect for sure, it did end when death parted them. I think as young adults and older, when parents separate, it's almost like saying, "Why bother getting married. We couldn't work it out, so we got out assap, and happily ever after doesn't exist." This is very touching and heart felt. Makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete